A pdf of this page can be downloaded here (requires Adobe Reader):
NRP 2012-13 Initiatives (7-11-12B draft)
NRP is currently in the process of defining 2012-13 initiatives based on community feedback from our public meetings, and discussions with our members and stakeholders.
- Collaboration with community groups in events such as river clean-up and local festivals.
- Promote responsible recreational use of river.
- Strengthen public awareness of NRP
- Increase population of NRP active members and volunteers.
Stewardship of the Namekagon Fishery
- Cooperation with Patrick Shirey, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Notre Dame in gathering baseline water temperature data pertaining to areas of suitable trout habitat in the upper Namekagon River and its tributaries.
- Possible collaboration with the National Park Service on a “big woody cover” habitat restoration project along a suitable reach of the upper river.
- Develop Memorandums of Understanding and annual action plans with stakeholders in subject areas such as land use, and surface and ground water hydrology.
- Develop active working relationships with landowners along the river and its tributaries.
- Establish and maintain a pool of passionate subject-matter experts.
- Collaboration with Friends of the St. Croix Headwaters in the development, pilot, and deployment of a river-focused “Eco Adventure” curriculum guide for middle-school students: http://canoesonwheels.org/?page_id=350
- Collaboration with local historical societies, and social and civic organizations to record and share local history and culture along the river.
- Development of Board of Directors.
- Ensure that all NRP activities are science-based, outcomes driven, and transparent.
“In the end we will conserve only what we love. We love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.” – Baba Dioum, 1968