The Steering Group continues to refine our mission and goals statements, and to solicit and tabulate public feedback regarding the Namekagon River and the organization.
Please share your thoughts and insights with us.
Who is NRP?:
The Namekagon River Partnership (NRP) is a citizen-based group that supports and promotes educational opportunity, scientific study, and stewardship of the Namekagon River and its natural resources for the benefit of partners, the general public, and future generations.
The NRP is dedicated to supporting, promoting, and providing activities that enhance stewardship, awareness, and enjoyment of the Namekagon River, and its watershed.
- Enhance cooperation and communication among NRP partners: individuals, organizations, business and industry, the educational community, and agencies.
- Expand awareness of the ecological, cultural, and historical significance of the Namekagon River.
- Enhance the scientific understanding of the river’s health by investigating impacts negatively affecting the river, its water, and its plants and animals.
- Promote the understanding and awareness of the Namekagon River watershed, focusing on how a healthy watershed sustains a healthy river.
- Promote resource stewardship of the lands, waters, plants and animals within the watershed.
- Build a stronger working relationship with the National Park Service (NPS), the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (WDNR), Great Lakes Indian Fish and Wildlife Commission (GLIFWC), U.S. Forest Service (USFS), and the Lac Courte Oreilles and St. Croix Tribes; within the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway boundary.
Feedback from our February 9th public gathering has been tabulated. Six areas of focus, and priorities of interest within each area (♥) were identified:
♥ Annual outings and cleanup
- Public Awareness
♥ Watershed awareness
- Educational Programs
♥ Old & young outside; engaged and involved
♥ Sustain Brown trout in the upper river
♥ Monitor water quality, document baseline conditions
♥ Resurrect fisheries management plan
♥Trapping of animals, beaver management
- Organizational – Business
The full tabulation can be viewed here (requires Adobe Reader)
NRP Results 2-9-12 Public Meeting